- 3 cups of flour (plain/all purpose)
- 2 teaspoons of active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 500g minced beef (I used 5% fat)
- 1 large onion grated/blended
- 2 large tomato’s greatest/blended
- 6 branches of fresh parsley/ 1 whole jar of dried parsley
- 2 small bell peppers / 1 large bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons of tom paste or salça
- 2 teaspoons of Pepper paste (I didn’t add as none in the cupboard)
- 2 teaspoons of red pepper flakes or ground spice
- 1/2 teaspoon of black ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons of salt
Make the dough by putting all ingredients in a mixing bowl and work together with your fingers, slowly adding the warm water. Keep kneading in the bowl until you have a ball of dough. Cover and leave for upto an hour in a dry dark place to rise.
Next make the filling,
Blend the peppers, tomatoes and onions small enough as if greated but not too much or it will liquidise.
Add to a bowl with the ground mince and mix together with all ingredients, cover and also leave for an hour to marinade.
1 hours later ….
add the mixture of a deep pan and fry until cooked. Storing frequently on a Meaduim heat.
Back to the dough, sprinkle a good hand full of flour into a dry clean surface and take your dough and form into a sausage using the flour to prevent it from sticking. Then cut your sausage of dough into 8 pieces and form them into balls ensuring they are well covered with flour,
next, lightly spray your baking tray with spray oil or frylite
i only have a standard oven so I cooked to lahmacun at a time and each set took about 10-15 mins to cook through.
Dust the flour over your rolling pin and roll out a ball of dough into a large thin sheet but thick enough to be the base of your Turkish pizza. Then transfer the dough into the baking tray and evenly spread out a think but decent layer of the cooked cooked beef mixture.
Put them in the oven on around gas mark 4-5 and let them cook for 10-15 mins keeping an eye on them so they don’t burn or go to hard.
Repeat the process until all the dough balls have been transformed into lahmacun and cook in pairs until all is cooked and ready.
Serve with lemon and ayran (see aryan recipe)